Cosmetic testing and regulatory house MSL Solution Providers has extended its vegan testing service VeganSure service with a new dehydrated culture media (DCM) offer.
MSL is now able to supply vegan DCM to companies around the world that have in-house laboratories or sub-contract microbiological testing.
This enables them to perform routine microbiological testing and assure the safety of their cosmetic products, in line with its brand’s ethical stance.
All VeganSure DCM products are validated against traditional media to ensure quality of results and meet the requirements of the UK and EU Cosmetic Regulations.
All animal-derived ingredients usually found in standard culture media and neutralisers, are replaced with plant-based or synthetic alternatives, such as papaya-derived enzymes, soya bean, and plant peptones.
The VeganSure DCM collection comprises eight products:
• VeganSure Agar (VSA): A general-purpose agar, which supports the growth of a wide range of microorganisms. It can be used as a vegan alternative to Tryptone Soy Agar (TSA).
• Potato Dextrose Agar (PDA): Used for the preparation and maintenance of fungal test strains used in the growth promotion test. The extract from potato and dextrose provides a nutritionally rich base that encourages mould sporulation and pigment production.
• V7 Neutralising Broth (VN7): This VeganSure neutraliser covers the broadest range of preservatives and is recommended for use in challenge testing of water-miscible cosmetics.
• Vegan Maximum Recovery Diluent (VMRD): Used as an isotonic diluent for maximum recovery of microorganisms.
• Sabouraud Dextrose Agar (SDA): Used for the preparation and maintenance of fungal test strains used in the growth promotion test
• VeganSure Broth (VSB): A vegan alternative to Tryptic Soy Broth (Soybean-Casein Digest Broth), this is used for the cultivation of a wide variety of microorganisms and recommended for testing bacterial contaminants in cosmetics.
• V Nutrient Agar (VNA): A general-purpose medium for the cultivation of a wide variety of organisms that are not demanding in their nutritional requirements, for example, organisms that can be isolated from air, water, dust etc.
• V Nutrient Broth (VNB): A vegan alternative to traditional nutrient broth and used for the cultivation of a wide variety of microorganisms.
Ben Elmadi, technical manager – cosmetics at MSL Solution Providers, said: “VeganSure was the first vegan testing suite to market, and we are proud to launch the world’s first animal-free dehydrated culture media service too.