Aston Chemicals has won the annual Laura Marshall Memorial Award for Innovation at the SCS Formulate show in Coventry, UK.
The British distributor took the prize in recognition for its Lotion de l’Ocean concept.
The formulation is a zinc-only SPF30 body lotion made with Carbonwave’s Seabalance 2000 upcycled seaweed emulsifier.
“Using Seabalance 2000 as the sole emulsifier, Lotion de l’Ocean provides transparent, zinc-oxide only, SPF30 protection with a non-greasy skin feel,” said Aston Chemicals technical development manager Lou Graydon (pictured).
“Despite being a zinc-oxide only SPF lotion, Lotion de l’Ocean is transparent on all skin tones,” she added.
Also nominated for the 2023 Laura Marshall Memorial Award for Innovation were:
- Clariant - Feel-Good Magic Stick
- Givaudan - S3D HydraSplash Shower
- Innospec - Super Sustainable Shampoo Concentrate
- J. Rettenmaier & Sohne - Conventional Liquid Shampoo Converted to (dehydrated) Shampoo Bars
- Sequential - Skin Microbiome Testing for Cosmetic Brands
The Laura Marshall Memorial Award honours the former chair of the SCS Formulate Scientific Programme Committee who passed away unexpectedly in 2014.